As most of us should all know by now, BT announced some months ago that they will be switching off their ISDN networks for good by 2025. This means that anyone using an ISDN network will need to migrate over to some form of IP telephony.
What Is ISDN?
ISDN stands for Integrated Services Digital Network. An ISDN network enables the digital transmission of voice, video, data and other network services.
Why do I need to migrate?
2025 may still be a few years away yet but by 2020 businesses will no longer be able to buy or upgrade to a system that utilises ISDN networks. Doesn’t seem that far away now, does it?
Since the announcement from BT, ISDN is now regarded as a legacy network. This means that there will be very little invested into this network from here on in, which means that ISDN will become difficult to maintain until it is inevitably switched off for good in 2025.
What should I migrate to?
A VoIP network is the best and only solution for this problem.
VoIP is short for Voice Over IP. A VoIP system transmits voice traffic over your internet connection. There are many benefits that come along with a VoIP system:
- Cost savings due to no line rental and cheaper calls.
- You can log into a VoIP network from anywhere as long as you have an internet connection!
- It can be used to make voice phone calls and be used for video conferencing.
- It can be integrated with your email clients and CRM.
- Lines can be added or removed easily, giving you infinite flexibility!
- There are several applications that can be added ad-hoc, such as call recording, SIP phone mobile app, unified communications, video conferencing and more!
When should I migrate?
The short answer? Now!
As we stated earlier, ISDN is now viewed as a legacy platform. Not only that, this platform will be phased out in commercial areas first before rural areas. BT is leaving businesses that use this network no other choice but to migrate and it would be better to do this sooner rather than later, especially since VoIP comes with great benefits and cost savings for your business.
There really is no better time to upgrade your office phone systems. SPIRE are keen to help any businesses still using ISDN to make the transition to a hosted telephony platform. Could this be you? Contact today to speak to one of our telecommunications specialists on 0800 021 0100!